Planned maintenance2 2021 04 16 131752 color

Preparing to move in

We want to ensure that your stay in a CTJ Housing Trust property is as easy as possible. This area of the website is intended as guidance to tenants and we hope will answer some of the questions you may have.

Tenancy Agreement

Your Tenancy Agreement sets out your legal responsibilities as a tenant of CTJ Housing Trust. Please read it carefully and keep it in a safe place.

Paying Your Rent

Your rent is due monthly in advance (on 1st of each month) to our managing agents Maillard & Co. You can pay your rent by any of the following methods:

  • Online via Maillard & Co

  • Bank transfer or standing order

  • Personal Debit card – by telephoning 880880 or in person at the offices of Maillard & Co, 31-33 New Street

  • Cheque sent to the offices of Maillard & Co, 31-33 New Street, St Helier, JE2 3RA (please specify your name and property on the reverse of the cheque).

If paying by standing order, please ensure you specify your property reference for the payment (If you are unsure what your property reference is please contact Maillard & Co). Please note that standing order forms must be completed and returned to your bank.

If you are in receipt of Income Support we will request that the component for your rent be paid directly from Social Security to Maillard & Co.

It is important that you pay your rent in full and on time. We do understand that people can experience financial difficulties from time to time, if this happens you must contact Maillard & Co before missing any payments. They will work with you to offer advice and arrange a suitable repayment plan which will help you to manage your rent account. They may also liaise directly with the Income Support team, where appropriate.

If you do not keep up to date with your rental payments and fail to enter into an appropriate repayment plan, it may result in the withdrawal of non-essential maintenance to your home and referral of the outstanding debt to the Petty Debts Court. You will also be refused a transfer or home exchange.

Please note that if you fail to pay your rent when it is due and fail to enter into a repayment plan, you are putting your tenancy at risk which may lead to you being evicted from the property.

Utility Companies

Tenants must contact the utility companies (electricity, water and telephone) to set up accounts in their own name. It is important that tenants close and settle accounts at the end of the tenancy as soon as possible.

Insuring the Contents of Your Home

Although we insure the main structure of the building, there is no insurance for the contents of your home.

The Tenancy Agreement makes you responsible for insuring the contents of your home, including all floor coverings. This is particularly important if damage happens to your possessions, perhaps caused by a leak from the property above.

Third Party Cover is also necessary to deal with losses arising from your property e.g. leaks into the property below.


Please look after your keys as the cost of replacing keys is the tenants’ responsibility. You are welcome to leave a spare key at the offices of Maillard & Co if it makes it easier for contractors to gain access for any necessary repairs. If a locksmith is required to gain entry, the tenant must pay.

Forwarding Mail

Mail addressed to previous tenants is often allowed to pile up in the corridors and hallways. The postmen are not allowed to take unwanted post back to the Post Office.

If you know the forwarding address of the previous tenants, please re-address the mail and post it. If you do not know their address, mark the mail “moved away” or “unknown at this address” and post it. The Post Office will then return to sender.


You are not allowed to sub-let rooms in your home or take in lodgers.

All you need to know about your home